A row of Nas-cetta vines
Vine varieties: 100% nas-cetta
Producer: Azienda Agricola Stra
Vineyards: Novello, Foglio 3 Particelle 401, 9
Alcohol content: varying from 13% to 14.5% vol.
Quite intense, fine and elegant to the nose, it offers persistent floral, herb and citrus scents. On the mouth the taste reminds of acacia honey, sage and rosemary. It features a bright straw yellow colour with golden glances.
OPTIMUM SERVING TEMPERATURE: between 10 and 12 °C
SOME FOOD PAIRINGS: vegetables, white meat, fish, fresh cheese
Its revival began in the 1990s after decades of abandon and neglect and is now taking its place among the really good wines.
Being recognized as a distinct, historic subzone since 2010, Langhe Nas-cetta del Comune di Novello must abide by specific regulations which determine, among other things, that grapes must come from that area only.
Harvest period for this grape variety, which is single-Guyot pruned, generally is end of September.
The making of Langhe Nas-cetta del Comune di Novello involves 3-day maceration and fermentation of the grapes in steel tanks, followed by ageing in steel tanks for 6 months and in bottle for 3 months.
Making the most of the expertise of their ancestors, Paolo and his father Roberto carry on all vineyard work passionately. Their farm is located in the Ciocchini area in the municipality of Novello, which is exactly where rare “nas-cetta” vines were recovered in the ‘90s after they had been long forgotten during the 20th century.
The soil is mainly composed of clay here, facing to south-west, and allow for producing about 25,000 to 28,000 bottles a year – among which 3,500 bottles of Langhe Nas-cetta del Comune di Novello – the result of pesticide-free farming.
Both the winemaking activity and family life happens in the typical farmhouse where generations of Stras were born. It features some guestrooms too, and vegetables grown by the family within their garden are at disposal for the guests to pick freely.
YOU WILL GET, INCLUDED IN KIT:
- 10 bottles of Langhe Nas-cetta del Comune di Novello, made from the grapes of the vineyard you adopted
- The bottles will be made ready depending on each production regulation and the agenda of the producer. Usually Langhe Nas-cetta del Comune di Novello is made available by the producer in the Springtime after grape harvest. Shipping is not provided.
- You will be kept updated about the work done in the vineyard where your row is located, that you can visit when you come to collect your bottles. The cost relative to transport, accommodation, meals, etc are not included. Thus, you will have the chance to come and visit the Langhe and Roero area and discover one of the most stunning spots in the world!
By adopting a row of nas-cetta vines you will be sent home:
- the official adoption certificate, certified by Made In Langhe & Roero, where you will be decorated “honorary wine-maker” for the running year
- a jar containing some “Langhe ground”, as a symbol for the bond you made with this land
- an informative card about the producer and the wine you chose
- a Langhe and Roero map, showing where the excellence you adopted is located
- custom labels with the name of the adopter, that you can apply on the products
- a rooted nas-cetta cutting, which you may either pot or plant out into your garden
WHERE IS IT?
HOW DOES IT WORK?